Tuesday, May 13, 2008

13th May - What does it mean to you?

513 brings out a lot different emotion to different people. Even though I did not directly felt the direct blow of a 513 incident at that time, its effect could not be denied years on.

Studying and living in a boarding school in the 70s where the student population of non-malays can be counted on two hands gives me a unique insight into the matter.

In the first year, some people would warned me about the date, insinuating sinister happenings. When I asked around, many seniors were tight lipped and tried to deflect the subject. In reflection they were only trying to shield me from the truth.

As years went by, the matter weighed heavily on me. Sometimes receiving threats, although never carried out, but still intimidating all the same. The racist undertones is clear even though we were all still students. Indoctrination of racial idealogy starts early in Malaysia.

March 8 election in some way has change my mind about this racist country of ours. There is a glimmer of hope when the electorate chooses the other side. Maybe this is the new beginning we are hoping for.

No comments: